Feel like the world is constantly asking you for something? We sure do and this is why we’ve put together this new feature of exciting things to do and see in our fair city. A breath of fresh air in the age of commodification of almost everything. Enjoy!
On top of Montpelier Hill overlooking Junction 12 of the M50 is the Hell Fire Club, a derelict building. The Hell Fire Club was originally built in 1725 by William ‘Speaker’ Conolly as a hunting lodge. There are a long list of ghost stories associated with the building: including that stone from a nearby burial ground was used to build the roof but it was soon blown away – and thought to be the work of the devil.
Paranormal activity has traditionally been linked with the house. When Conolly died, the Irish Hell Fire Club was started and the house was used as the meeting point – and at each meeting the members would leave a vacant chair in the room, supposedly for the devil. Other tall tales recount numerous drinking sessions and black masses at which animal sacrifices, and on one occasion, the sacrifice of a dwarf took place.
Outside of the building is a spectacular panoramic view of Dublin stretching from Tallaght in the west, to Howth in the north and all the way to Killiney in the south of the county.
Find directions to Montpelier Hill here.
Tour of Aras an Uachtarain
Tours of the President’s residence are open to the public and take place every Saturday throughout the year. The tours are organised by the Office of Public Works (OPW). The tours take about an hour and best of all, are completely free! Click here for more information.
The building, which has ninety-five rooms, was designed by Nathaniel Clements and completed in 1751. It was formerly the Viceregal lodge until 1937 when with the establishment of the office of the President of the Republic of Ireland, it became the official presidential residence.
National Museum of Ireland
The National Museum of Ireland is open Tuesday to Saturday from 10am to 5pm, and on Sunday it is open from 2pm to 5pm. The museum has a collection of over four million artifacts. There are three different campuses across Dublin city:
Archaeology – Kildare Street.
Decorative Arts and History – Collins Barracks (Museum Luas stop).
Natural History – Merrion Street.